Last Updated on
Does sweat really cause hair loss? Well, it might surprise you, but the answer is yes. While sweating does have some health benefits, too much of it can be harmful to the hair.
According to some studies, sweats helps to release the hair follicles, leaving room for new hair growth. However, excess sweating can be detrimental to your scalp and hair because of the lactic acid content in sweat, which leads to hair loss.
Therefore, if you’re still wondering whether sweat causes hair loss, yes it does, and the best thing you can do is to prevent excess sweating on the scalp in order to maintain healthy hair.
How Does Sweat Cause Hair Loss?
Can sweat cause hair loss?
Various studies have proven that when the lactic acid content in sweat comes in contact with the keratin in the hair, it results in hair loss. This is why you might, sometimes, experience some level of hair loss when you’re sweating.
On the contrary, the sweat glands conceal sweat that mixes with the bacteria already accrued on the scalp and results in the formation of fungal infections. This unhealthy condition causes hair loss according to so many studies.
Furthermore, another reason why sweat can cause hair loss is that when you sweat via the sweat glands on your scalp, it results in dehydration of the hair strands – this is likely another reason why sweating is associated with hair loss.
When you sweat so much, and the sweat mixes with flakes on your scalp it can clog the pores, thereby making the hair follicles inactive. This can equally, to some extent, cause hair loss.
How to Prevent Hair Loss Due To Sweat
Now that we already know that there’s a relationship between hair loss and sweat, let’s now see how you can seamlessly prevent hair loss due to sweet.
1. Avoid tight hairstyles: Tight hairstyles can prevent the sweat on your scalp from evaporating, which will lead to it getting accumulated with the oil and dirt in the scalp and hence lead to hair loss.
You want to keep the hair loose at all times to improve air passage on the hair.
2. Wash your hair as often as possible: Washing the hair more often will help you protect it against excess sweating. This is especially during hot or humid weather when you’re more liable to sweating.
With regular washing of the hair, you will be able to get rid of the dirt and production of extra sebum that can mix up with the sweat and cause hair loss.
3. Try hair steaming: This will help to open up the pores, thereby flushing out the toxins and dirt from the scalp.
It equally removes the extra oil on the scalp and unclogs the hair follicles to function properly. This will also help to promote new hair growth and prevent hair loss due to sweat.
4. Brush the hair: Brushing your hair whenever necessary will help in blood circulation and also keep away the sweat. This is one of the ways you can prevent hair loss and balding.
5. Massage the scalp with oil: Massaging the scalp with oil will enable blood to circulate properly to the hair follicles, and ensures deep nourishment and elimination of toxins and dirt. Apart from shampooing, this is one of the best ways to prevent hair loss due to sweating.
How to Easily Reduce Scalp Sweat
Below are a few ways you can reduce scalp sweat in order to prevent hair loss and thinning hair:
- Have a healthy lifestyle
- Wash your hair after exercise
- Avoid stress and anxiety at all costs
- Stick to natural home remedies to prevent excessive sweating